It is a Non-profit charitable organisation working in the production of antirabies vaccine. This Institute is started in the year 1907 and brought under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in 1977. The Institute is recognized by Dr. M. G. R. Medical University and by the Bharathiyar University, Coimbatore. The Institute has a large library with thousands of books and journals. It is also one of the best libraries in South India. Visitors need a special permission to visit this institute and it is close to the famous SIMS Park.